Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Snow Idiocy...


First off I would just like to say that for some of you that listen to modern music, the description of this blog is the name of a Collective Soul Album. If I remember correctly it was one of my first albums. I think that it will do a good job of describing the things that I will be writing about.

Now on to todays blog...

I have noticed that there are a few things that need to change when it comes to snow. First and for most the way that most people here in Utah drive in it. No if I were a betting man, I would have bet, before i moved here, people would be generally good at driving in snow. I mean this is the home of the 2002 WINTER Olympics. The license plates boast "The Greatest Snow on Earth." If you have ever watched a Warren Miller movie than you would know that some of the worlds greatest shots have come from Utah. Aparently all bets are off.

Why is it that people turn into complete numbskull's when there is a little snow on the road? I can understand if you are from somewhere like Florida and this is the first time that you have ever seen the stuff, but for all of you Utards that just turn on the stupid switch whats the deal?

To give an example of this stupidity (there are many that I could choose from) I will start with a simple one. This one takes place on the interstate. I'm not trying to be stereotypical or sexist put it usually involves a teenage girl going about 80 mphs, weaving in and out of traffic, while talking on a cell phone. Apparently the freshly fallen snow is a candy coating to the road that helps you go really fast! I always cringe and tense up when I see one of these plastic girls driving their plastic rice rockets oblivious to the world. The same applies to those that drive a big SUV or truck, that think they are magically not going to spin out of control or stop because the have four wheel drive. Plain and simple snow idiocy.

Another example happened the other day as I was turning in to my apartment. I pulled in to the middle lane and was waiting for a gap in the steady stream of traffic to make my cross. There where a lot of cars and I had been waiting a couple of minutes. Normally I would have been very irritated, but i have learned to be patient in the snow. Then out of no where this lady in a minivan stops the entire lane of traffic. She seriously slammed on the brakes and waved me across. I'm all for being a good Samaritan, but this was just plain stupid. It is not like all of a sudden the laws of driving change, and you have to give up your right away. Luckily everyone behind her was able to stop.

My sister and brother-in-law are assistants to the manager at the apartment complex they live at. There basic duties include garbage removal, keeping the grounds clean, and clearing snow from sidewalks when appropriate. I'm assuming that an appropriate time to remove snow is AFTER it snows. I know that I am going out on a limb here with this guess since I myself have never been an Apartment Manager. I'm assuming that the Managers at my apartment complex never got the memo about snow removal from the Apartment Managing School. I have lived at the same place for almost two years and they have never shoveled snow. There idea of snow removal is spreading a 20 pound bag across the entire complex and hoping that the sun gets the rest. To bad the sun never shines on ANY of the sidewalks. This is another one of those "Hello!! You are in UTAH!!" type of things that you shouldn't have to worry about

I could go on with a few more examples of snow idiocy, but I think that ya'll get the idea.

If any of you readers out there have any examples, I would love to hear them.

4 comments:

Amy said...

LOL you crack me up!
Another example of snow idiocy is owning an apartment complex with lots of sidewalks in Salt Lake City (home of the 2002 WINTER Olympics) and not seeing the need to invest in a snow blower. Yeah. I don't know if that's idiocy or a bad case of the cheaps.
And by the way, maybe at your apartment they just shovel before it snows... it's easier that way :)

The Bradford said...

yeah thats right up there! thanks for the comment amy!

Anonymous said...

Great Post Brad. I was cracking up. One of the best examples of Utards (I love that expression) or a snow idiot is someone that buys a house with a front facing the North. If these idiots ever drive on the fresh snow before clearing it, then it becomes part of of the permafrost. You'll never get it of your driveway until spring.

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, (I know one of those old folks stories) They didn't plow the roads in Evanston. They were snow packed all winter. We used to drive the snow machines out of the back yard, on to the streets and out to the fields and have a great time. We also used to sled down the street and get pulled behind pick up trucks on tobogans and inner tubes. Times have changed!! Oh yeah, and we called people from Utah Ubangies! Don't know why, just did!